Friday, October 26, 2007

LZ Softball Gets A Win

October 25th, 2007, 7:30 PM PST

LZ's (2-4) Softball beat Junk in the Trunk (0-5) Thursday night, 16-11.



All week long before this matchup between two cellar dwellers, my co-worker AC's been telling me he can't be worst than me in pitching. This is suppose to be the game where he takes over the pitching duties and allows me to play third-base (a position in dire need of a new player, no offense to my man Strum). However, a new-recruit was playing third this game putting me in right field. Either way, AC starts the game as pitcher.

In the first inning, he walks a couple batters but manages to get out of the inning fairly harmless: three runs, one walk. No biggie. Good start.

In the second inning, AC strikes out two of the three batters and they go 1-2-3. Nice, new pitcher in the making!

Not so fast...

In the third inning, "Ball-four" became AC's new name. He walked the bases loaded to start the inning. And then he walked a couple more with the bases loaded. After walking home a couple more runs, he decided to walk home a couple more. He wasn't even close to the plate. If you enlarge the plate three times its regular size, he'd still miss by four feet. He was missing long, short, left, right, top, bottom, high, low, everywhere! You get the point. So then he throws one strike and then walks in a couple more.

After a while, I decided enough is enough. Exit: AC. Enter: Me. I come in from right field and AC goes out to right field. My confident little self tells blue (blue = umpire) that I don't need any warm-up throws. I throw three pitches in a row to the first hitter I face and walk him. Not good.

But of course, I don't walk anyone else and the next three batters are out in order and we're out of the inning. They scored six runs in that inning. I gave up two runs in the last four innings including three shut-out innings. Solid. Ballfour = not solid.

Here are some pictures from the game:

This is Kevin, our best hitter on the team. He plays left-center/center field.



This is Kendy, our second best hitter on the team. He plays left-field.



This is me and AC. Don't ask me why I'm holding a football with my left hand. Michael Vick baby!



This is me and Athens:

No comments: