Monday, October 22, 2007

Poker and Basketball

October 19th, 2007, 9:00 PM PST

I never made it to the game. I went to go play poker with Killa Kev right after work and didn't leave until 9:30 PM PST. I missed my softball game, missed a dinner get-together with my high school friends, and missed a birthday party at V2O. I didn't miss on my sleep-time though; I slept like a baby. Solid.

Another day at the office produced a $96 profit. I played NL $40.

Two memorable hands:

1.) I am in seat six. I have about $80. I look down at JJ under the gun (UTG = position right after BB [big blind]).



I limp for $2 (blinds are $1/$2) hoping for a raise. Seat #1 has been raising all-night with junk and so has Seat #3. Seat #9 has been calling all night with mediocre hands as well. Seat#9 calls the $2. Seat #1 raises to $10. Bingo. Seat #3 calls. I check my hand once more and decide that I should just call because if I go all-in they're gonna call me no matter what (the skill of the game will go out the window and up the percentages to their favor with that thing called luck). So I call the $10 and so does Seat #9. So we are 4-way to the flop. Flop comes two spades QJ7. Money flop. I check. Seat #9 goes all-in for $28. Seat #1 folds. Seat #3 goes all-in for $32 total. I tell the dealer I call. Turn and River are blanks. Seat #9 shows Q10. Seat #3 shows KQ. Send it!

2.) I am still in seat six with about $160. I look down at KK.



Once again I am UTG and limp for $2. Everyone calls until it reaches Seat #2. Time for a little introduction to Seat #2. Seat #2 is a tight-player. He is Asian and has built his stack off one hand when he hit quads on the turn. He has 180 chips and is the only other big stack I'm worried about. I'm pretty sure I can push him off a top-pair board. Back to the action, he opts to raise it to $5. Seat #3 calls of course and it comes to me. I announced "raise." I decided to make it $20 total. Seat #7 calls and says I'm about to lay a bad beat down. Seat #9 calls the $20 too. Action comes back to Seat #3. He gives a little ugly laugh and says forty more. Now action comes back to me and I call time to think. My thought process, there's only one hand out there that can beat mine. I don't think he has Aces because he would of gone all-in so he has to have Kings or Queens. He can't have Kings because I have two of them. I put him on Queens. I call the $40. Seat #7 calls with his last $38 or so. And of course Seat #9 goes all-in for about $25 total. Flop comes: QQ7 rainbow. Seat #3 checks. At this point, I'm guessing he has Jacks or Aces because he didn't like the flop. I decide to check. Turn 3. He checks, I check. River 4. Check, check. Seat #7 shows 69 off-suit. Seat #9 shows QJ off-suit. Seat #3 shows KK. I show KK.

I heard we won the softball game 19-3.



Ocotber 20th, 2007, 2:00 PM PST

Notguilty's game was canceled due to some random event going on at San Marino High School.

October 20th, 2007, 4:20 PM PST

LBC 75, God's Army 78.

I'm not sure how we lost this game but we found a way. We had about ten illegal defenses called on us (more like six but still), missed about ten layups (~5), and had one huge breakdown on defense with a one point lead with 45 seconds left in the game. The shortest guard on God's Army drove in for a layup, uncontested out of a timeout in the half-court set. Lost.

Stats: 2/5 FG's, 4 pts.

No comments: