Thursday, October 25, 2007

Slow Start, Fighting Finish

October 24th, 2007, 7:30 PM PST

The third-season kick-off wasn't as strong as I wanted but still a successful one. LZ (1-0) posted a 45-41 victory over one of the weaker teams in the league.

We ran ten deep with three returning starters from last season. Our two best rebounders were M.I.A.; they both averaged over ten rebounds each last season. It was definitely a factor last night as we got pounded big-time on the glass. This one youngster (Kevin Durant-like) was killing us left and right. He scored at least sixty-percent of their team's points (I think half of his points came on put-backs). Too bad in the end he lost and we won. Good game KD!

On an outside note, this game was in the makes of getting pretty dirty pretty fast. Some white-guy (about 5'11) with an Arizona Mike Bibby jersey (#10) brought his elbow up high on my shoulder when I was boxing him out on a shot that was a pump-fake.



I had to give him the check-down. He pulled off for a screen for one of his teammates. I gave him a blind-sided push on his back. Left hand on the number one and right hand on the zero. A solid ten-yard illegal block in the back. The good thing was that neither ref saw the push or else I'd been called for a technical (maybe an ejection). He didn't retaliate and played as if nothing happened. Sweet.

Wait...

A couple possessions later, Big L (yes, the dynasty is reborn!) drove to the rack for a lay-up and Bibby (B) gives him a solid foul. L goes chest-to-chest with Bibby and hollers "Let's Go!..."

L: Watch out baby...I'm unemployed and I'm looking for work.
B: I know, I know you're living off your Mom at home.
L: Oh no baby, your mom is living with me and she's sucking my #@$*.

Next possession down, KD drives to hoop in the open-court and my guy McNair gives him a solid shoulder to the mid-section making sure he meets mister floor. Bibby comes in for some more mouth-jawing and McNair tells him what are you going to do about it. Flagrant foul. No punches thrown. No technicals. Halftime.

In the second half, KD drives to the hoop again and Kevin decides he need to get on the foul tally sheet. A clean foul in attempt to stop an easy lay-up. KD didn't appreciate the contact. He opens his mouth and Kevin gets in his face. KD's mouth suddenly goes into shut-down mode. Kevin becomes Killa Kev and Bibby is mumbling something hiding behind his boys. Technical foul. KK out of the game.

In the end, no fists were fired. And oh yeah we didn't lose.

No comments: